Louis C.K. startled fans when he featured an uncomfortable — and controversial — scene in his show Louie last month during the episode “Pamela, Part 1.” In the episode, Louie attempts to kiss his friend Pamela (played by co-producer Pamela Adlon) against her will and ends up chasing her around his apartment, grabbing at her as she attempts to get away from him. Pamela even spells it out, telling Louie — as he’s grabbing at her — that he “can’t even rape well!” Eventually Louie manages to kiss Pamela before she’s finally able to leave.
Many viewers were put-off by the scene — which quickly became known as the “rape” scene — and were left wondering just what Louis C.K. and Louie were up to. As TIME’s James Poniewozik wrote about the scene in June: “It feels terrible to watch–not just the grappling, but the cringing kiss Louie coerces out of Pamela, and the fist-pump he gives himself afterward. And there’s no reason to doubt Louis C.K. meant it to look and feel precisely that terrible.”
Now, in an interview with Vulture, Adlon herself has commented on the controversial scene, saying that she initially found the whole confrontation hilarious:
Adlon also disagrees with people who viewed the eventual kiss as forced, adding that her character consented at the end of the scene. But if Aldon thinks fans shouldn’t be wondering what to think about the outcome of that scene, she’s also quick to note that the response that the episode triggered — although largely negative — wasn’t unwelcome:
Considering Poniewozik, not to mention many other viewers, have noted that watching that scene felt terrible, it sounds like Louis and Adlon achieved at least part of their mission.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022