Belgium may have won its match against the United States when the two countries locked horns in the World Cup Tuesday, but American goalie Tim Howard won our hearts.
The 35-year-old goalkeeper made a heroic 16 saves against Belgium, keeping the U.S. national team alive into extra time. On social media, U.S. fans called for everything from a Tim Howard presidency to the creation of a new award for Goalie Laureate of the United States.
After several heartbreaking chances, the U.S. team lost 2-1 to Belgium, eliminating the U.S. from the World Cup. Belgium will face off against Argentina in the next round of the tournament.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears