The Supreme Court Monday decided in favor of the arts-and-crafts chain Hobby Lobby, ruling that “closely held corporations” could refuse to cover employee contraception methods on religious grounds. And the Twitterverse had some thoughts on that. (For a fuller explanation on the ruling and its implications, see my colleague Kate Pickert’s piece.)
In true Twitter showdown fashion, the decision set off a “hashtag battle” between #religiousfreedom and #notmybossbusiness. Conservative politicians and court observers alike used the former to applaud the five justices who made the majority decision labeling it a victory for religious freedom. They also preemptively called out any attempts from the left, specifically Obama, to interfere with the Court’s ruling. Meanwhile, more liberal members of Congress as well as abortion rights groups used the hashtag #notmybossbusiness to flood the social network with responses of disappointment or shock and demand legislative action to cover all forms of contraception.
A selection of both sides—from Paul Ryan to Planned Parenthood—is below:
— Gov. Bobby Jindal (@BobbyJindal) June 30, 2014
America was founded on the principle of religious freedom, and there is nothing more fundamental than the First Amendment. #HobbyLobby
— Michele Bachmann (@MicheleBachmann) June 30, 2014
— Paul Ryan (@PRyan) June 30, 2014
— Ryan T. Anderson (@RyanTAnd) June 30, 2014
— Sen. Barbara Boxer (@SenatorBoxer) June 30, 2014
SCOTUS took an outrageous step against women's rights, setting a dangerous precedent that permits corporations to choose which laws to obey.
— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) June 30, 2014
— Women's Campaign Fund (@WCFonline) June 30, 2014
Make no mistake: Today, once again, the Supreme Court ruled against American women. #notmybossbusiness
— Planned Parenthood Action (@PPact) June 30, 2014
— Ali Taylor (@Ali_Again) June 30, 2014
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive