In news that’s less Harry Potter and more Bling Ring, British immigration officials are investigating Emma Watson over claims that her American housekeeper might have worked for the actress illegally in the U.K.
The Harry Potter actress allegedly had her U.S. housekeeper accompany her to London on a tourist visa even though the employee continued to work for Watson while in the U.K, the Independent reports. While on tourist visas, visitors to the U.K. are forbidden from working. A spokesperson for Watson didn’t comment to the Independent.
The housekeeper, who was thought to have been hired by Watson in New York in early 2013, was reportedly stopped by British immigration officials. Authorities were said to be investigating a complaint that the housekeeper was paid to continue working for Watson in her London home for three months.
If the investigation finds Watson did employ the American at her London home without the proper work permits, the actress could face up to £10,000 ($17,000) in fines.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?