The first 4D theater in the United States opened this week in Los Angeles with a late-night showing of Transformers: The Age of Extinction.
A “4D” experience means that a 3D movie is combined with features like sensor-equipped motion seats, wind, strobe, fog, rain and scents.
The company behind the innovative movie-going experience – South Korea’s CJ 4DPlex – is betting that 4D will be the next wave in the film industry.
Movies have to be adapted to be played in 4D – recent titles to be given the 4D treatment include Captain America: The Winter Soldier and How to Train Your Dragon 2.
4D systems are currently installed in about 23 countries, including Bulgaria, China, Chile, Japan, the United Arab Emirates and Venezuela, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time