Co-host Sherri Shepherd stated Thursday that she would be leaving the ABC daytime talk show, The View, after 7 years — a move that prompted another co-host, Jenny McCarthy, to announce that she would also be leaving.
The departure of the two adds to a growing list of exits. The Daily Beast described it as a “massacre.”
“It’s been seven wonderful years on The View and after careful consideration it is time for me to move on,” Shepherd said in a statement to Entertainment Tonight. McCarthy, who has only been a co-host for one season, responded to Shepherd’s announcement with several tweets that also suggested her imminent departure.
TMZ suggested that the two women had been fired and that Bill Geddie, the executive producer, would also not be returning to the show. According to TMZ, ABC executives decided to fire the hosts because of sliding ratings and personality conflicts. An anonymous source told Entertainment Weekly that Shepherd could be replaced by a male co-host next fall.
A statement from ABC did not suggest the hosts had left voluntarily. “’The View’ will be moving in an exciting new direction next season and ABC has made decisions to evolve the show creatively,” the network said, according to Huffington Post.
The change of hosts caps a whirlwind of drama at The View beginning with the departure of Star Jones in 2006, followed by Rosie O’Donnell, and more recently Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Joy Behar, and Barbara Walters. Whoopi Goldberg remains as the sole host of the show.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve