Beyoncé and Jay Z gave the crowd at the first stop on their highly anticipated “On the Run” tour more to talk about than just the music Wednesday night.
The duo showed off a few very brief seconds of previously unseen footage from their 2008 wedding. You might have to watch the video a few times, but eagle-eyed fans will spot details from what looks like a relatively normal ceremony: the couple exchanges rings; Beyoncé sports a very traditional-looking white wedding dress and veil; and attendees cheer joyously when they walk down the aisle after the ceremony. Except everything was probably really, really expensive. And a lot of other celebrities were probably there. So maybe not like your wedding at all.
The couple has always been secretive about their union, but the video even offers a glimpse of the couple’s famous wedding ring “IV” tattoos. (The couple is obsessed with number four: Beyonce is born on Sept. 4, Jay Z’s birthday is Dec. 4, the couple married on April 4 and daughter Blue Ivy’s middle name sounds suspiciously like the number.)
As predicted, they also shared the stage for several songs, including “’03 Bonnie and Clyde,” their first hit together. What else happened? Each superstar wowed the crowd by delivering an epic solo set, chock-full of hits. Jay Z wore his usual uniform of highly tailored separates and some chains. And of course, Beyoncé donned some amazing costumes (including a spangly fishnet mask!) while bringing down the house. Just another day in the life for the family Carter.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time