Here are the stories TIME is watching this Tuesday, June 24.
New ads from the Center of Disease Control look to scare smokers straight with “Tips From Former Smokers” that showcase terrible side effects.
More primaries in Colorado, Maryland, New York, Oklahoma and Utah, including a tense runoff in Mississippi between Senate stalwart Thad Cochran and Tea Party favorite Chris McDaniel.
The National Center for Lesbian Rights have started a social media campaign using the tag #BornPerfect to fight against gay conversion therapy.
And finally, selfies in spaaaaaaaace. Mars rover Curiosity takes a quick pic to celebrate its Martian 1 year anniversary (that’s 687 days to you and me)
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World