Here are the stories TIME is watching this Monday, June 23.
Secretary of State John Kerry met with top political leaders in Iraq after fighters of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria captured key crossings at the Syria-Iraq border over the weekend.
More auto recalls, but this time they’re not from GM, as Honda, Mazda and Nissan are calling back vehicles due to defective airbags.
Sunday’s dramatic World Cup tie game between the U.S. and Portugal means that all Group G teams have a chance to advance after Thursday’s matches.
And finally, a career-ending diagnosis for former Baylor player Isaiah Austin, who will no longer pursue a career in the NBA.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space