Here are the stories TIME is watching this Monday, June 23.
Secretary of State John Kerry met with top political leaders in Iraq after fighters of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria captured key crossings at the Syria-Iraq border over the weekend.
More auto recalls, but this time they’re not from GM, as Honda, Mazda and Nissan are calling back vehicles due to defective airbags.
Sunday’s dramatic World Cup tie game between the U.S. and Portugal means that all Group G teams have a chance to advance after Thursday’s matches.
And finally, a career-ending diagnosis for former Baylor player Isaiah Austin, who will no longer pursue a career in the NBA.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time