Massachusetts could set a record: The state plans to adopt an $11 minimum wage by 2017. That would give Massachusetts the single highest minimum wage of any state in the country—but not by much. The bill is currently before Gov. Deval Patrick.
A handful of states are looking to hike their minimum wages over the next couple of years. Michigan wants to raise its minimum wage to $9.15 by 2018, while Vermont and Maryland want to raise theirs to $10.50 by then.
MORE: History of the Minimum Wage
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space