Americans love to spend. We know this. But just how much are they spending every second of every day, and on what exactly? The folks over at Retale, a location-based app that aggregates weekly retail circulars, created a real-time graphic to visualize the answers to these questions. Watch the numbers tick swiftly upward, as more and more money is spent on everything from coffee to firearms to pet food to lottery tickets to doughnuts.
References are listed below the graphic. Of course, keep in mind that these numbers are ultimately an estimate. And if the graphic looks familiar, that’s because it was inspired by the popular Internet in Real-Time chart.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?