Americans love to spend. We know this. But just how much are they spending every second of every day, and on what exactly? The folks over at Retale, a location-based app that aggregates weekly retail circulars, created a real-time graphic to visualize the answers to these questions. Watch the numbers tick swiftly upward, as more and more money is spent on everything from coffee to firearms to pet food to lottery tickets to doughnuts.
References are listed below the graphic. Of course, keep in mind that these numbers are ultimately an estimate. And if the graphic looks familiar, that’s because it was inspired by the popular Internet in Real-Time chart.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow