Here are the stories TIME is watching this Thursday, June 19.
With the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria ISIS only 40 miles away from Baghdad, Iraq pleads for U.S. airstrikes while President Barack Obama meets with top legislators to plot a course of action.
Amazon set the consumer electronics world ablaze with the announcement of its new Fire Phone that lets customers scan and buy products.
Dark horse Democratic presidential candidate Brian Schweitzer undercut his already slim odds by insinuating that Eric Cantor is gay in an interview with National Journal.
And finally, if you’re a teen girl with a phone, you just can’t win. A study in Journal of Children and Media found that teen girls who sext are labeled “slutty” while girls who don’t are “prudes.”
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction