Jack White is on a roll.
White’s latest album, Lazaretto, came in at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 for the week ending on June 15, selling 138,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. But that’s not all — 40,000 of those sales were of the album’s “ultra” vinyl edition.
Not only do those numbers put the vinyl edition easily at No. 1 on Billboard’s vinyl-album charts, but they also mark the biggest week for a vinyl album since 1991, when SoundScan began tracking music sales. Lazaretto even beat Pearl Jam’s Vitalogy, which sold 34,000 copies on LP when it came out in 1994.
White is a vinyl lover himself, and this edition of his new album has a lot of special features. While most of the record plays the standard 33⅓ r.p.m., it has two bonus tracks cut into the center labels that each play at a different speed: one at 45 r.p.m. and the other at 78 r.p.m. Side A of the record plays from the inside out, and there’s even a hologram etched into the disc.
The sales from the rocker’s vinyl LP were so great that it alone would have come in at No. 4 on the Billboard 200 this week. Vinyl sales accounted for 28.9% of the album’s first week, only slightly less than the number of CDs sold (41,000 and 30% of the sales).
Earlier this year, White set the world record for fastest-released recording when he had records produced immediately after a performance in Nashville. The success of Lazaretto follows his earlier solo album, Blunderbuss, which also debuted at No. 1.
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement