Former Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry’s autobiography Mayor for Life includes a colorful (and enthusiastic) description of the first time he snorted cocaine.
“I exhaled instead of inhaled and blew all of the powder off the card,” Barry writes about when an unidentified woman offered him his first hit in the 1980s. After he managed to get the correct technique, says Barry, it “felt like I had ejaculated.”
“The cocaine was a powerful stimulant that went straight to my penis,” he says.
The infamous mayor managed to secure reelection in 1994 despite a 1990 arrest on drug charges. He now serves on D.C.’s city council.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org