The Dutch forward has scored a goal for the books.
In Friday’s match against defending World Cup champion Spain, Robin van Persie scored a goal that immediately turned him into an Internet sensation. In the 44th minute of the match, with Spain in the lead, the Manchester United player soared in the air as he sent the ball flying past Spanish goalkeeper Iker Casillas with his head.
The Netherlands went on to win 5—1, and by the end of the match, van Persie’s feat had been immortalized into a meme.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases