The Dutch forward has scored a goal for the books.
In Friday’s match against defending World Cup champion Spain, Robin van Persie scored a goal that immediately turned him into an Internet sensation. In the 44th minute of the match, with Spain in the lead, the Manchester United player soared in the air as he sent the ball flying past Spanish goalkeeper Iker Casillas with his head.
The Netherlands went on to win 5—1, and by the end of the match, van Persie’s feat had been immortalized into a meme.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve