Here are the stories TIME is watching this Friday, June 13.
After five years of Taliban captivity, Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl is back in the USA. Bergdhahl returns to a nation divided on the terms of his release, just as letters he purportedly sent to his family while in captivity have been made public.
ISIS’s violent march through Iraq could end up hiking gas prices in America. Global gas prices have hit a three-month high due to the unrest.
Teens are drinking, smoking, doing drugs, and having sex less in than in the past according to a CDC study — but texting while driving is on the rise.
And finally, it may be Friday the 13th, but the ominous day has a sweet ending. A champagne-colored full “honey moon” will grace the night sky.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer