Here are the stories TIME is watching this Friday, June 13.
After five years of Taliban captivity, Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl is back in the USA. Bergdhahl returns to a nation divided on the terms of his release, just as letters he purportedly sent to his family while in captivity have been made public.
ISIS’s violent march through Iraq could end up hiking gas prices in America. Global gas prices have hit a three-month high due to the unrest.
Teens are drinking, smoking, doing drugs, and having sex less in than in the past according to a CDC study — but texting while driving is on the rise.
And finally, it may be Friday the 13th, but the ominous day has a sweet ending. A champagne-colored full “honey moon” will grace the night sky.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk