A robbery attempt at a Phoenix church rectory Wednesday left one priest dead and another in critical condition. The incident took place at 9 p.m. local time at the Mother of Mercy Mission, according to police. Police said Thursday they were still searching for the suspect, though they found an SUV that belonged to one of the priests but was stolen.
The victim, father Kenneth Walker, 28, had only been ordained a couple of years ago. The other priest involved in the incident, father Joseph Terra is in critical but stable condition, according to information released by the diocese.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space