Brazilian police fired tear gas canisters at a group of protestors demonstrating against the World Cup on Thursday. At least one arrest was made, according to CNN reporter Shasta Darlington, who was struck with a tear gas canister on live air during the fracas.
The protestors intended to make their way to Corinthians Stadium some seven miles away.
Similar protests have cropped up in recent weeks as many Brazilians are enraged by the World Cup’s $11 billion price tag. Some argue those funds would be better spent on local needs like housing, hospitals and schools.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy