Brazilian police fired tear gas canisters at a group of protestors demonstrating against the World Cup on Thursday. At least one arrest was made, according to CNN reporter Shasta Darlington, who was struck with a tear gas canister on live air during the fracas.
The protestors intended to make their way to Corinthians Stadium some seven miles away.
Similar protests have cropped up in recent weeks as many Brazilians are enraged by the World Cup’s $11 billion price tag. Some argue those funds would be better spent on local needs like housing, hospitals and schools.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving