Here are the stories TIME is watching this Thursday, June 12.
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria militant group inches closer to Baghdad, taking Iraqi cities along the way. Despite requests from the Iraqi government for U.S. airstrikes, Washington seems reluctant to get involved.
After Eric Cantor’s stunning defeat in the Virginia primary, Wall Street must find another political ally.
The World Cup begins today in Rio with Brazil’s squad taking on Croatia while social unrest bubbles around the country.
And finally, the only thing better than futbol is SPACE futbol. In honor of the World Cup, astronauts aboard the ISS kicked a soccer ball around in Zero-G.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time