The World Cup: 32 nations, 64 matches, 1 billion viewers, 1 winner.
From the beaches of Rio de Janeiro to the busy streets of London to the stadiums of Buenos Aires, TIME presents a view of the global fervor around the big, beautiful game, seen through the eyes of Magnum Photographers.
As the World Cup returns to its spiritual home, Brazil, these are the classic goals and heart-stopping highlights, and the all-time great players — Garrincha, Pele, Jairzinho, Carlos Alberto — that give the 2014 host country its deep roots in futbol.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow