Charity Johnson, who previously went under the false name of Charite Stevens, has been sentenced to jail for 85 days for failing to identify herself, according to the Associated Press.
Johnson, 34 years old, was arrested in May after posing as a teenager and enrolling as a sophomore in New Life Christian School in Longview, Texas.
The ruse was exposed after her guardian, Tamica Lincoln, suspected something was amiss. Lincoln claimed that Johnson said she was a 15-year-old orphan and victim of child abuse.
“I sympathized with her, and invited her into my home. I took her in as a child, did her hair, got her clothes and shoes,” Lincoln told KLTV in May.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time