Updated 7:14 a.m. E.T. on June 9
A married couple screamed “this is a revolution” before killing two police officers in Las Vegas on Sunday, authorities said, in a shooting rampage that ultimately left five people dead, including the suspects.
Police said the two suspects walked into a pizza restaurant and yelled about a “revolution” before killing the two officers—Alyn Beck, 42, and Igor Soldo, 32—who were having lunch at the establishment. The suspects later fled to a nearby Walmart were they killed one bystander before taking their own lives in what authorities said appears to have been part of a suicide pact.
“What precipitated this event, we do not know,” Sheriff Douglas Gillespie told the Las Vegas Sun. “My officers were simply having lunch when the shooting started.”
The investigation into the shootings was ongoing late on Sunday. CNN, citing an unnamed law enforcement source, reports the couple had extremist views toward police. The The Las Vegas Review-Journal, citing unnamed law enforcement sources, reports that the shooters draped their bodies in cloth displaying a Revolutionary War-era flag and that investigators also found materials associated with white supremacist groups.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating