Updated 7:14 a.m. E.T. on June 9
A married couple screamed “this is a revolution” before killing two police officers in Las Vegas on Sunday, authorities said, in a shooting rampage that ultimately left five people dead, including the suspects.
Police said the two suspects walked into a pizza restaurant and yelled about a “revolution” before killing the two officers—Alyn Beck, 42, and Igor Soldo, 32—who were having lunch at the establishment. The suspects later fled to a nearby Walmart were they killed one bystander before taking their own lives in what authorities said appears to have been part of a suicide pact.
“What precipitated this event, we do not know,” Sheriff Douglas Gillespie told the Las Vegas Sun. “My officers were simply having lunch when the shooting started.”
The investigation into the shootings was ongoing late on Sunday. CNN, citing an unnamed law enforcement source, reports the couple had extremist views toward police. The The Las Vegas Review-Journal, citing unnamed law enforcement sources, reports that the shooters draped their bodies in cloth displaying a Revolutionary War-era flag and that investigators also found materials associated with white supremacist groups.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time