Benedict Cumberbatch—the 37-year-old star of the BBC’s reboot of Sherlock, who’s also appeared in 12 Years A Slave, Atonement, and Orange: Osage County (not to mention his being chosen as one of this year’s TIME 100)—is having a moment. His acting has won him widespread critical acclaim, Emmy and Golden Globe nominations, and a Britannia award. As it turns out, in addition to being an “alarmingly talented actor,” he’s also a solid friend.
Cumberbatch made headlines in the UK Friday, after he punched a journalist in the arm for badmouthing his buddy Keira Knightley.
To Elle, Knightley said:
Keira, we totally agree. Benedict, would you be ours?
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022