For the 70th anniversary of D-Day, world leaders, nearly 1,000 veterans and about 7,000 official guests arrived on the French shore to remember the historic occasion.
From a 93-year-old paratrooper who parachuted into Normandy 70 years ago wanting to try the jump one more time, to Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel chatting before the event, here’s a look at the highlights from the remembrance ceremonies.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction