President Barack Obama will log on to Tumblr next Tuesday to answer students’ questions about the cost of college and student debt.
The live Q&A event is the latest example of Obama using live social media events to reach young audiences — he’s previously used Twitter, Google+ and even Reddit to reach out to voters on various issues. Nearly half of Tumblr’s users are between the ages of 18 and 34—including the discussion’s moderator, 27-year-old Tumblr founder David Karp—a demographic likely pondering the issues of college costs and student loan repayment.
This year’s college graduating class will enter professional life with an average of $33,000 in student loan debt, nearly double that of students who graduated in 2000, according to government data. Overall student loan debt has topped $1 trillion and is the fastest-growing debt category, the Wall Street Journal reported in May.
Obama’s Tumblr town hall was announced by Yahoo!, which acquired Tumblr last May for about $1.1 billion.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving