Hot on the heels of box-office hit Maleficent, Disney is eyeing similar success with a live-action remake of 1991 animation classic Beauty and the Beast and two other much loved titles.
No word yet on who is rumored to play Belle or the Beast, but slated to direct is Bill Condon, who is most well known for his work on Dreamgirls and parts one and two of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn. According to Variety, Evan Spiliotopoulos (The Lion King 1½, Hercules) will pen the screenplay.
Beauty and the Beast joins two other live-action reboots in the pipeline: The Jungle Book will be directed by Jon Favreau and Cinderella by Kenneth Branagh.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now