Chinese state media had some harsh worlds for U.S. tech firms such as Google, Apple and Yahoo on Wednesday, calling them government “pawns” that must be punished.
The message, which condemned tech firms for spying on China and stealing secrets, first appeared on a microblog of People’s Daily, the Chinese government’s official newspaper, according to Reuters. Similar comments appeared on the front page of China Daily, an English-language paper.
It’s unclear whether the message is referring to a specific incident, or is just another case of China lashing out over U.S. surveillance policies, as revealed by Edward Snowden over the last year. In any case, analysts estimate that U.S. tech companies have lost billions of dollars from China, as state-run companies have turned to domestic firms instead.
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023