The late frontman of thrash-metal mainstay Gwar, Dave Brockie, died of an accidental heroin overdose, the Virginia State Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed Tuesday.
Onstage with the band, Brockie inhabited the costumed character Oderus Urungus — “a 43 billion year-old alien from the planet Scumdogia.” In late March, he was found dead in his home at age 50, WTVR reports. Police had evidence of heroin on the scene, but a cause of death was not confirmed until now. Brockie’s friends told local media they had been concerned about his health and behavior in the lead-up to his death.
Brockie was a founding member of the two-time Grammy-nominated band and its only consistent member since it began in 1984.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating