Heads-up, everyone: Will Smith is in talks to star in a currently untitled film about NFL concussions, based off of a GQ article.
Peter Landesman (Parkland) will direct and write the movie, which could find Smith playing Dr. Bennet Omalu, the neuropathologist who raised awareness of how dire a problem concussions are in professional football, Variety reports. Jeanne Marie Laskas followed Omalu in her 2009 article “Game Brain.”
The film isn’t the only project tackling the issue, though: An adaptation of the book League of Denial: The NFL, Concussions and the Battle for Truth is in the works, and Isiah Washington will star in the movie Game Time Decision.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time