Instagram added a slew of new editing features Tuesday that go beyond the scope of an ordinary filter, giving photos taken on your humble smartphone a professional veneer.
With a new update, phone photographers will be able to edit their photos to incrementally alter brightness, saturation, contrast, warmth, shadows, sharpness, filter strength, and more.
Instagram’s blog explains the specifics of how to use the tools, which are unlocked when you tap a wrench icon that appears at the point of filter selection.
“All of us [at Instagram] are kind of photo geeks, but we’re trying to bridge the gap between being a photo geek and the rest of the world,” Peter Deng, director of product at Instagram, told Mashable of the new tools, which have been in the works for just under six months. “Instagram’s always been about taking these tools that were previously inaccessible … and making them accessible for free for everyone that uses Instagram.”
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy