With a fortune worth about $20 billion, Steve Ballmer is set to become the richest team owner in the NBA if he buys the L.A. Clippers from current owner Donald Sterling for a record-setting $2 billion.
In taking the top spot on the list, Ballmer supplanted Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who’s got a $15.8 billion fortune. The next-richest team owner’s net worth doesn’t even come close to Allen’s, but at $6.8 billion, it’s still nothing to sneeze at.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve