Facebook shares soared Thursday morning after the social network reported strong earnings that outstripped expectations the day before.
The stock rose roughly eight points, or 15 percent, by 9:45 a.m., following a smaller surge in after-hours trading late Wednesday.
The company announced Wednesday that it pulled in $523 million in profits in the fourth quarter of 2013, about an eight-fold increase over the same quarter last year, as ads on the site became increasingly valuable. Profits on the year reached $1.5 billion, up from just $53 million in 2012.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Noah Rayman at firstname.lastname@example.org