Twitter CEO Dick Costolo has scheduled his first visit to China for a “personal” tour of the country, where some 600 million internet users are officially banned from tweeting.
Reuters reports that Costolo will meet with students, professors and local officials in Shanghai, including representatives of the city’s free trade zone.
Twitter insisted that Costolo had no plans to lobby for an end to China’s Twitter ban, or even a modest workaround. “We have no plans to change anything about our service in order to enter the market,” read an official statement from the company.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com