Feast your eyes on the new trailer for this summer’s musical biopic about the Godfather of Soul.
Universal’s Get On Up is the story of James Brown through troubled childhood, a prison stint and into his music career. Starring Chadwick Boseman—who played Jackie Robinson in last year’s 42—as Brown, with Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer as his mother and aunt respectively, the movie is stacked with acting talent. It’s also directed by Tate Taylor, of The Help fame. And in terms of music, the trailer sounds amazing and we can relax about the rest of the movie’s aural standards—Mick Jagger is one of its producers.
The film hits theaters Aug. 1.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating