The murder trial of South African olympian Oscar Pistorius turned gruesome again Thursday, when images displayed of his former girlfriend shortly after her death prompted the double-amputee known as “Blade Runner” to vomit in court.
The photos of Reeva Steenkamp appeared briefly on a number of TV screens as part of the prosecution’s case, seemingly by accident as a police official was moving through various images, the Guardian reports. They shocked Steenkamp’s supporters in the courtroom and made Pistorius, who has frequently appeared anguished and sick during the trial, distraught once again.
Pistorius is facing murder charges and the possibility of life in prison if he is found guilty. Prosecutors say he murdered his girlfriend after a fight, but Pistorius says he killed her by accident by shooting his gun through a bathroom door at what he thought was an intruder.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time