Mobile accessory manufacturer Incipio recently unveiled the Cashwrap Mobile Wallet Case, a protective shell for iPhone devices that also offers near-field communication (NFC) capability.
The case is meant to interface with the Isis Mobile Wallet app, a Google Wallet competitor, to allow for mobile payments at select retail locations. It is compatible with the iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5S.
NFC technology is often associated with mobile payments. Android phones typically have NFC built in to allow for tap-to-pay functionality at certain major retailers. The concept is simple – you connect a bank account via an app, then give your phone permission to act as your credit card.
Apple, meanwhile, seems to have intentionally rejected NFC technology. The company hasn’t bothered to include it in any of its flagship iPhone devices, and its recently implemented iBeacon technology seems to be a direct NFC competitor.
Personally, I’m not sure that this case is worth buying, at least today. But if you really want NFC functionality on an Apple device, an add-on like Cashwrap is one of your very limited options for doing so.
This article was written by Fox Van Allen and originally appeared on Techlicious.
More from Techlicious:
- Starwood Hotels Introduces Smartphone Door Locks
- Back to the Future 2’s Robotic Gas Station Arrives a Year Early
- FBI Warns of More Retailer POS Hacks
- Google Calendar Privacy Flaw
- Apple iPhone 5S Users Are Data Fiends, Study Shows
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve