I’m in deep trouble: I haven’t finished Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Lightning Returns is just around the corner. In the same boat? Has Square Enix got something for you.
I noticed this courtesy Kotaku’s Jason Schreier: a YouTube video upped by Square Enix summarizing Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 — call it “the story so far” — only done endearingly old-school 16-bit console style. And I don’t mean 60-seconds of sentimental promotion, but nearly eight minutes of retro recap that touches all the bases and yesteryear (yep, I used it) tropes.
Watch it for chiptunes Masashi Hamauzu, the white Mickey Mouse glove-cursor, the silly superdeformed protagonists and the (even more jarringly) non sequitur narrative bursts. I don’t want to play this version — I’m among those that liked Final Fantasy XIII as-is (and, so far, XIII-2) — but it’s amusing and deftly nostalgic and I salute whoever at Square Enix took the time to pull it together.
Lighting Returns — the third and final game in the mainline XIII sequence — arrives February 11 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate