A border patrol agent who was discovered dead in his home in south Texas this week may have responsible for kidnapping and assaulting three women who had entered the U.S. illegally.
According to the F.B.I. investigators, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents came across an unidentified female on Wednesday who claimed she and two other women had been abducted and assaulted by a man.
Following the incident, authorities encountered a second woman who was also injured, leading the investigation to a house in Mission, Texas, belonging to a border patrol official. The agent, who was identified as Esteban Manzanares, was dead when authorities arrived, while a third woman was discovered at his home.
“We believe he is the person responsible for the kidnappings and the assault of all three of them,” said Michelle Lee, an FBI spokeswoman in San Antonio, according to the Associated Press.
Customs and Border Protection is reportedly in full cooperation with the F.B.I. as the investigation continues.
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive