Oprah Winfrey is turning the big 6-O, and she’s packed a lot into six decades. Here’s a look at how far she’s come since her first days on air — at the tender age of 19. She also recalls the tragic challenges she faced as a young girl.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction