Police have arrested a suspect after a fatal shooting at South Carolina State University Friday, where a 20-year old student was shot and killed outside a dormitory.
Nineteen-year-old Justin Bernard Singleton, 19, was apprehended in the parking lot of an apartment complex in Orangeburg and charged with the murder of Brandon Robinson, 20, the Associated Press reports. Law enforcement officials said they don’t know what led to the shooting.
The historically black university 40 miles south of Columbia was the site of a shooting in 2011, when police said a drug deal led to the death of a 22-year-old student.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- AI Is as Risky as Pandemics and Nuclear War, Top CEOs Say
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction