Good news for Scrabble players who are always arguing about whether the words they put down are in the dictionary or not.
Fans can now nominate a new word to be added to the Hasbro game’s Merriam-Webster’s Official SCRABBLE Players Dictionary — which has not been updated in nine years, according to a company statement.
People are listing their choices in the comments section of a post on the Hasbro Game Night Facebook page, where, yes, “selfie” and “twerk” have already been suggested. Other recommendations are “INJERA – an Ethiopian bread”, “NOWISH”, “crowdfunding”, and “EUOI- an exclamation of Bacchic frenzy.” A jokester has even made a case for his own name “Ziyaad.”
Wordsmiths can submit their picks until March 28. Sixteen finalists will be revealed on Apr. 2, and fans will be able to vote for their favorite one on Facebook. The official new word will be announced on Apr. 10, and the updated dictionary will come out in August.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future