Good news for Scrabble players who are always arguing about whether the words they put down are in the dictionary or not.
Fans can now nominate a new word to be added to the Hasbro game’s Merriam-Webster’s Official SCRABBLE Players Dictionary — which has not been updated in nine years, according to a company statement.
People are listing their choices in the comments section of a post on the Hasbro Game Night Facebook page, where, yes, “selfie” and “twerk” have already been suggested. Other recommendations are “INJERA – an Ethiopian bread”, “NOWISH”, “crowdfunding”, and “EUOI- an exclamation of Bacchic frenzy.” A jokester has even made a case for his own name “Ziyaad.”
Wordsmiths can submit their picks until March 28. Sixteen finalists will be revealed on Apr. 2, and fans will be able to vote for their favorite one on Facebook. The official new word will be announced on Apr. 10, and the updated dictionary will come out in August.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now