The mayor of Sochi rolled out the welcome mat to gay visitors during the winter Olympics, promising a pleasant stay for any homosexuals who “don’t impose their habits” on the community, which is apparently 100 percent straight.
Anatoly Pakhomov told the BBC that Russia’s gay speech restrictions would force none of Sochi’s gays into hiding, as the city had no gays in the first place. Asked how he could know, Pakhomov responded, “I am not sure, but I don’t bloody know them.” Thus concluded the not quite scientific, but official survey.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement