The mayor of Sochi rolled out the welcome mat to gay visitors during the winter Olympics, promising a pleasant stay for any homosexuals who “don’t impose their habits” on the community, which is apparently 100 percent straight.
Anatoly Pakhomov told the BBC that Russia’s gay speech restrictions would force none of Sochi’s gays into hiding, as the city had no gays in the first place. Asked how he could know, Pakhomov responded, “I am not sure, but I don’t bloody know them.” Thus concluded the not quite scientific, but official survey.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com