French President Francois Hollande confirmed his separation Saturday from his partner Valerie Trierweiler, following a French gossip magazine’s reports of the president’s affair with actress Julie Gayet.
“I am making it known that I have put an end to my shared life with Valerie Trierweiler,” Hollande told Agence France-Presse.
Hollande’s office had earlier denied the claims of his separation from Trierweiler, the BBC reports. However, he never denied his affair with Gayet, which was publicized after the French gossip magazine Closer published photos of Hollande arriving at her apartment for nocturnal trysts.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving