When Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry shared a brief kiss at Cyrus’ Bangerz tour show at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Feb. 22, everyone basically shrugged and carried on with their lives. The pop stars, however, seem unwilling to do the same.
On Wednesday, Perry appeared on a morning news program in Sydney and revealed the kiss turned into a little more than she had bargained for: “I just walked up to her to give her a friendly girly kiss. You know as us girls do. And then she like tried to move her head and go deeper and I pulled away. God knows where that tongue has been!”
That could have been the end of it, but Cyrus wasn’t inclined to let her good name be besmirched without throwing back a jab of her own. The next day, Cyrus took to Twitter and delivered an uppercut: “Girl if ur worried abt where tongues have been good thing ur ex boo is ur EX BOO cause we ALL know where THAT [tongue emoji] been.”
It’s impossible to say with 100 percent certainty, but it’s a safe bet the Cyrus was referring to Perry’s former flame John Mayer, who has also dated Jessica Simpson, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Aniston and, possibly, quite a few others. Perry and Mayer reportedly split last month.
Perry has yet to respond, but this spat could have some legs—if Cyrus’ tweet doesn’t prove to be a knockout blow.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com