A family friend of the singer Usher was sentenced this week to four years in prison for killing Usher’s 11-year-old stepson in a 2012 Jet Ski accident.
A jury last found Jeffrey Simon Hubbard guilty of homicide by vessel, as well as serious injury by vessel and unlawful operation of a personal watercraft. Judge Bonnie Oliver handed down the prison sentence on Wednesday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports, along with an additional 15 years on probation once Hubbard is released.
The accident took place in 2012 when Hubbard crashed into Kile Glover—the son of Usher’s former wife Tameka Foster—and a 15-year-old girl, who were both playing in an inner tube on Lake Lanier in Georgia. Both children were seriously injured in the collision, and Glover died two weeks later from brain injuries.
Hubbard was arrested in 2013 after a grand jury indicted him. His lawyers argued in court that the collision had been a tragic accident and that Hubbard had tried to avoid hitting the two kids. “He’s been remorseful from day one,” his father, Simon, told local news outlets after the sentence was handed down. “It’s been a nightmare for him for the past two years, and it’s probably going to be indelibly etched in his mind for the rest of his life.”
- Workers Are Furious. Their Unions Are Scrambling to Catch Up
- What the Facebook Whistleblower Did to the Company's Stock in 6 Weeks
- Photos from Migrants' Desperate Journeys to the U.S. Border
- Emily Ratajkowski: How I Learned to Let Go
- Afghanistan's Female Students Were Banned from Studying. Now Some Are Finding New Ways to Learn
- The 'Safe Supply' Movement Aims to Curb Drug Deaths Linked to the Opioid Crisis
- The 19 Most Underrated Movies on Netflix
- By Ending Legacy Admissions, Amherst Hopes to Change the Makeup of Its Student Body