Madison Holleran, a freshman track star at the University of Pennsylvania, threw herself from a parking garage, the Associated Press reports, just an hour after posting this photo:
Holleran (pictured below, left, with a friend) was an award-winning track star in high school and planned to major in philosophy, politics and economics in college.
“The entire Penn community is deeply saddened by the death of Madison Holleran. She was bright and well-liked with an incredible future ahead of her,” university president Amy Gutmann said in a statement. “There are simply no words that can properly convey the sense of heartache that we all feel at such a tragic loss.”
The school postponed sorority recruitment out of respect for Holleran.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow