Third-graders at a school in northern California were caught smoking marijuana in a boys’ bathroom recently, in what police are calling the youngest people they’ve ever busted for pot.
Two eight-year-old boys and one nine-year-old were caught last week in the Sonora, Calif. school, Reuters reports. A fellow student who saw them reported the incident to school officials, who then alerted local police. Officers detained the boys for questioning before returning them to their parents.
It’s unclear if they’ll face any legal repercussions. “The first step is, we have to determine whether they knew right from wrong,” Sonora Police Chief Mark Stinson said.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow