Robert De Niro opened up about his gay father to Out Magazine this week.
The 70-year-old actor gave Out a tour of his father’s old Soho home and art studio, which the younger De Niro maintains as if the older De Niro were still residing there. “It was the only way to keep his being, his existence alive here,” he said.
De Niro expressed regrets about not talking with his father about sexuality. “Being from that generation, especially from a small town upstate. I was not aware, much, of it,” he said. “I wish we had spoken about it much more. My mother didn’t want to talk about things in general, and you’re not interested when you’re a certain age.”
Though his dad died 20 years ago from cancer, the Raging Bull Oscar winner is working hard to preserve his memory. A documentary called Remembering the Artist: Robert De Niro, Sr. premiered at Sundance this year and will air on June 9 on HBO.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliana Dockterman at firstname.lastname@example.org