Robert De Niro opened up about his gay father to Out Magazine this week.
The 70-year-old actor gave Out a tour of his father’s old Soho home and art studio, which the younger De Niro maintains as if the older De Niro were still residing there. “It was the only way to keep his being, his existence alive here,” he said.
De Niro expressed regrets about not talking with his father about sexuality. “Being from that generation, especially from a small town upstate. I was not aware, much, of it,” he said. “I wish we had spoken about it much more. My mother didn’t want to talk about things in general, and you’re not interested when you’re a certain age.”
Though his dad died 20 years ago from cancer, the Raging Bull Oscar winner is working hard to preserve his memory. A documentary called Remembering the Artist: Robert De Niro, Sr. premiered at Sundance this year and will air on June 9 on HBO.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement