Chelsea Handler is finally getting her wish — sort of. After months of speculation and complaints from the star herself, E! announced Wednesday that comedian Handler’s night-time talk show, Chelsea Lately, will finish its seven-year run with a live finale on August 26. A special month-long run-up to the last show will look back on the show’s most memorable moments.
“I myself am more surprised than anyone that I was able to hold down a job for seven years, and it was a fantastic seven years,” Handler said in a statement. “I will always look back at my time on E! as most people look back at their time in college. I’m glad I went.”
Handler’s manager told The Hollywood Reporter in March that she intended to leave the network — which she called “a sad, sad place to live” during a recent Howard Stern interview — when her contract was up at the end of the year.
The show’s ratings haven’t been the same lately: her audience declined 32 percent between 2010, the year before her most recent contract negotiation, and last year, Deadline reports.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science