Have you been using Google or Facebook to sign into Yahoo services such as Flickr or Fantasy Sports? You won’t be able to in the future, as Yahoo will eventually require a proper Yahoo account instead.
Reuters reports that the shift will occur gradually, and that Yahoo Sports Tourney Pick’Em will be the first service to require a Yahoo login:
Translation: We’d like to be able to have better-targeted advertising by requiring a single sign-in. The same strategy’s working out pretty well for Google, after all.
Okay, maybe that’s a little cynical. If you’re using lots of Yahoo services, it surely makes sense to have a single login for all of them. And with Yahoo buying up companies that deal with contextual information, such as Donna and Aviate, it’s possible the company wants in on the AI/virtual assistant craze to compete with Google, Apple and Microsoft. If that’s the case, having a single point of entry into Yahoo services is essential.
Not that those reasons are any consolation if you basically just use Yahoo for Fantasy Football. Hope you enjoy your new Yahoo Mail account!
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement